Author: Lotlot
•8:51 PM
Part of celebrating Christmas in the Philippines is to attend a "midnight mass" or "Misa de Gallo" in Spanish or "Simbang Gabi" in Tagalog.

Misa de Gallo is literally translated as "Rooster's Mass" because it was believed that the rooster was one of the first witnesses of the birth of Jesus Christ, and thus be the one to announce it. It lasts for nine days that starts on December 16 to December 24, wherein the people attend dawn masses at 4:00-5:00 a.m.

Filipinos wake up very early to attend dawn masses as an expression of devotion towards God; likewise, to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Morning Star, who bore and gave birth to Jesus. On the other hand, it is also believed that you have to make wishes on the first day of the dawn masses; then, once you're able to complete the 9 dawn masses, your wishes will come true.

Last Christmas I tried to complete the 9 dawn masses because I've never completed it ever since. I made wishes on the first day I attended the rooster's mass and I kept on repeating my wishes from day 1 to 9. I was very excited to wake up at 3:30 a.m. and went directly to church. I preferred to stand up from the beginning of the mass 'til the end as a sign of sacrifice and devotion to God, Jesus Christ and Blessed Virgin Mary.

On the 8th day of the "simbang gabi", I wasn't feeling well due to the mishap that happened to me in my cousin's wedding; yet, I still attended it because I promised myself to complete the 9 dawn masses. Then, the night before the last dawn mass I had a fever. I thought I couldn't attend it because I felt worst. My mom monitored my fever until 2:00 a.m because I was still very hot and she said I talked while I was sleeping. Miraculously, as my mobile phone alarmed at 4:00 a.m my temperature had lowered. I didn't feel well yet, but I put on my clothes immediately and went to church to attend the last dawn mass. Again, I stood up as a sign of sacrifice and right after the mass the rain dropped. I wasn't feeling well yet, so I went home directly and went back to bed afterwards.
My mom was shocked why my fever was suddenly gone an hour before the mass started? On the other hand, I wasn't shocked because I knew it was my faith to God that cured my illness. For, it was on my mind and heart that in sickness or in health, I'd complete the 9 dawn masses. Besides, " Faith will heal", they said.

Thus, I'm very happy because I was able to complete the 9 dawn masses of Christmas. It was my first time to complete it. And, I strongly believe that my wishes during the dawn masses would come true.

Merry Christmas everyone and Advance Happy New Year!
This entry was posted on 8:51 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On January 18, 2008 at 4:08 AM , PinksandBluesGirls said...

What a beautiful post, and a wonderful example of your devotion to Jesus and the Blessed Mother. I hope your wishes do come true... you have remarkable faith! I have a miracle that I am praying for right now, and I love to see others who belive in the power of God, Jesus Christ and the Blessed Mother.
Sharon - Pinks & Blues

 

OFFICE THINGY

OFFICE THINGY

Me not U

Me not U
ako ni