Author: Lotlot
•2:00 PM

I have a 3-year old niece who is very curious and smart. Her name is Friendsys. She lives in my parents house in Bohol because her parents are both working here in Cebu. She sometimes visits us here together with my mother. I always lose my patience every time she's here because of her curiousity.

One time, she asked me to cook a noodle soup because she was hungry. While we waited for the soup, I prepared fork for her and chopsticks for myself ( Filipinos use fork and spoon in eating). After she saw I didn't give her chopsticks, she asked me why? I told her not to use chopsticks because she didn't know yet how to use them. But. she screamed and insisted that she knew and she would use chopsticks. I started to feel angry yet I tried controlling my patience. Again, I explained to her angrily why she had to use fork; but, she cried even louder. So, I gave her chopsticks yet she threw them away; because she wanted to use the chopsticks I was using. At that time, I lost my patience. I didn't notice that I threw the chopsticks in the floor. I got mad at her. Surprisingly, she stopped crying; then, she picked up the chopsticks and gave them to me. And she said, " Aunt, when I grow up can I use these too?". I replied calmly, " Of course, you can.".


My mom who was there told me, " You have to explain to her slowly so that she'll understand. It's not that you have to shout and throw the chopsticks just to let your niece stop asking for the chopsticks. It's not the right discipline for a 3 years old child.". With a feeling of guilt and shame on what I did, I slowly nodded and agreed with my mom.


I never expected that a 3-year old child could teach me many lessons. I should not solve things out in an harsh way. I should tone down my pride sometimes. I should have patience and be flexible; in a way that I can adjust myself to most people regardless of age. And, I should have eyes & ears, to see what should be seen and to listen what needs to be heard.


After what happened, my niece would always ask me about the chopsticks, specifically when we eat noodle soup.

This entry was posted on 2:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments:

OFFICE THINGY

OFFICE THINGY

Me not U

Me not U
ako ni