Author: Lotlot
•1:56 PM

After I cooked food for lunch today, a shell vendor shouted outside the fence. She was selling different kinds of shells. I had no plan to buy shells at first, but I felt pity looking at the vendor who seemed very hungry. I went outside the gate to entertain her. To my surprise, she had no breakfast yet, and it was already half past eleven. I was pretty sure she was very hungry.

From the clothes she was wearing down to the color and texture of her skin, I could say she's very poor. In addition to, her hands were very rough. Thus, i felt lots of needles piercing my heart. I really felt pity to her. For me to help her, I bought shells and gave her clothes. I told her to eat first before leaving but she didn't eat she only drank water.


I was deeply touched with the last thing she said to me before she left. She said in Cebuano, " Abi nimo day birthday nako karon. Ang pagpalit nimo sa kinhason ug ang mga sinena na imo gihatag sako maora jod ang gasa nga nadawat nako karon sa ako adlaw. Salamat kaayo. Wala lang ka kabalo unsa ang kalipay nga ako gibati karon nga nakasugat kog tao na sama nimo. Wala man gani ko pansina sa mga tao didto sa unahan bisan ang pagtan-aw na lang sa kinhason na akong gibaligya, ikaw ra jod tawn day ang nipansin nako ug sa ako baligya. Naa ang Ginoo nagtan-aw nato ug nakahibalo ko na gasahan raka niya tungod sa imong malumo nga kasingkasing. Sige lang day kay iapil ta ka sa akong mga pag-ampo." In English, " You know what, today is my birthday. The shells you buy and the clothes you give are the only gifts i receive in my birthday. Thank you very much! You just don't know how happy I am to meet a person like you. As I went here, the people snubbed at me and they didn't even dare to see the shells i am selling except you. God is there watching us, and I believe that he'll reward you for having a kind heart. Don't worry I'll include you in my prayers."


I could see the happiness in her eyes. She was very happy that I bought the shells she's selling and I gave her clothes. So, I was happy also because I never expected her to react like that. I thought it would mean nothing to her.


The things I did or gave to her were only little but were already a great happiness to her. I was able to ponder that it's not only the BIG things that would make a person HAPPY but the SMALL things too; moreover, could make a person SMILE, could touch some people's lives and could make a difference in the world. It doesn't matter how big or small you give as long as it fits to the necessity of the person and as long as the person is VERY happy to receive it.


So, start giving or sharing now because I tell you it's really nice to feel when you're able to bring SMILE to people.
This entry was posted on 1:56 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On March 30, 2008 at 10:19 PM , aya said...

I was deeply touched with this episode.
I've never met such a person.
However I'll probably do it the same way.

 
On March 31, 2008 at 2:33 PM , Lotlot said...

There are many poor people in our country. I'm thankful enough that I have a work, thus I'm not that very poor.
It's really nice to feel after you share your blessings to anyone. Being generous is a very good virtue. So, do the same way, Aya!

 

OFFICE THINGY

OFFICE THINGY

Me not U

Me not U
ako ni